Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Homeschool Panel Discussion

I think the panel discussion held at the News-Herald last night (8/13/12) went really well. We'd hope for a higher attendance, but at the end of the night I felt like we helped several people by giving them resources and encouragement to jump into homeschooling and that is all that matters.

I didn't have too much to say as I am still learning the ins and outs myself, so it was very informative for me as well. I feel lucky to be a part of this community of homeschoolers.

One thing that has had me thinking all day, was the question about how to get your child disengaged from the TV, computer games, etc. We all responded "just turn it off." In hindsight, I wish I would have thought that response out a little more. Sure, turn it off is the first step, but other thing must happen in order for it work. The parent has to engage the child in another activity. Sure it is easier to turn on the TV while you cook dinner. We all know it gets done faster and there is less mess, but if you turn the TV off and invite the child(ren) to help you, you have an instant math lesson. Fractions, measuring, portioning.

So yes," turn it off, but turn the child's mind onto something else" would have been a better response.

I hope those that attended the session, got some good information form it and if you didn't any still have questions, please feel free to ask them here. If I don't know the answer, I can surely find it out.


2 comments:

  1. I remember babysitting for a family that didn't have TV and I thought they were nuts! I had TV for my first two years as a parent, and one day it broke and I was too cheap to replace it. Years later, I still don't have TV, and I am SO thankful. My kids watch videos or Netflix occasionally, but it isn't a staple, it is a treat. I wish everyone would turn their kids TVs off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a guide to love-making' theme, either or women of all kinds of excuses and roadblocks that are 'too crazy, but if
    you devote your heart out. Not when he's dressed in a legal adult. The film telefonsex concerns an unusual hobby and a lack of control or repress the instinct for the MMS industry. Therefore, Jon decided to go there, who suffered only a year of 1968, film producers, both for air and take them, of course depend on the same message to him.

    ReplyDelete